Astronomy for Every Kid provides authentic learning experiences for kids, such as:
- Kids learn about the constellations using a homemade shoe box planetarium.
- Kids chart the movement of the stars with nothing but a string, a marker, and a nail.
- Kids use a toy magnet to simulate the Earth’s protective force field.
In all there are 101 hands-on investigations in this book. The book is not intended to be used as an Astronomy Curriculum. Instead, the book’s content is designed to enrich curriculum by adding doable investigations.
The format for each investigation is as follows:
- Purpose- A sentence describing the primary goal for the investigation.
- Materials- A list of supplies needed (primarily things you have around your house or easily obtained at a local store).
- Procedure- Step-by-step instructions with simple line drawn illustrations.
- Result- What is expected to happen.
- Why?- A conclusion of why the results were achieved, described in terms that are understandable to the reader who may not be familiar with scientific terms.